What is the definition for "unoccupied" when applied to house insurance?

I am planning to be away from home for three months at the beginning of next year, but my policy say the house can be unoccupied for only 45 days in one term. If my sister stays for 1-2 nights in the middle of my absenteeism, would this qualify as an occupation?
This is a question that confuses tons people.

You are dealing with two specific expressions here, and from what I see, you may get confused from some of the answers you have on here.

The two vocabulary are Vacant and un-occupied. To break it down for you, un-occupied means that the house is furnished and in a livable condition. If your sister stays here for a few days, then the home is occupied and as someone said "the timer starts over". If a home is "vacant" consequently it is empty, there will be no, or greatly few furnishings and not look like someone lives there, making it more susceptible to nicking or vandalism.

That is why you lose coverage for theft, vandalism and malicious mischief if the house is un-occupied for a specific amount of time, stated within your policy. Source(s): Barry - 20 year insurance professional.
if you want life security you hold to check more info
3 months? what's your address?
sure sounds similar to it to me, I would make it a week if possible to be on the past the worst side.
Yes. Unoccupied means standing empty. So if she spends a darkness or two there in the middle, the timer starts over. But to be guaranteed, if I were you, I would just beckon my insurance company and ask. You will be covered then if anything does happen.
If the house burns down or is destroyed by acts of outlook, will it be covered? That's what you have to ask yourself! Is it worth saving a few bucks afterwards ending up with nil? Call your agent and tell them...Merry Christmas! Source(s): NOT an insurance agent :)
No, sorry. You'll probably need to refer to your policy to see if it's defined there, because any policy definition take priority over the common definition.

Normally it means, you still live nearby legally, but aren't there for a rationale - typically would be, because you are in the hospital or on vacation. A non-owner boarder, ie, your sister, doesn't count.

Are you going on vacation for three months? If that's the case, I'd newly be honest with your agent and tell them, it's not a big treaty for VACATION.

Now, what I would do if it was me: first of all, if your house is unoccupied for more than 30 days, a few coverages acquire automatically suspended, like vandalism, and burst pipe water weaken, if you don't winterize the house. But an unoccupied house policy doesn't have these coverages ANYWAY. So, I would be VERY CAREFUL to winterize the house - shut off the leading water valve, drain the pipes & toilet container. Have your sister stop by to pick up the mail & check up on the house a couple times a week, and not worry going on for it. If the insurance company sends you a letter, you'll be back within the house before they can get around to cancel you. Source(s): agent, 20+ years
If anybody can stay within your house, while you are away, it can then be classified as occupied. Though you will stipulation to inform the insurance company. Unoccupied means totally empty within house terms.
You really need to have a VACANCY clause added onto your policy. Occupied is defined as >3 days per week... The see cost is a little costly, but if there is a fire or loss, and nearby is not somebody there occupying, the claim WILL be denied. I will income the little extra for the Vacancy to avoid this possibility. I have had seriously of insured's claims denied b/c of this reason! Source(s): Insurance Agent
Yes as long as You keep the utilites on , even if your sister stays or not , you should be fine.. unoccupied, can take on a long register of unanswered question, but citizens leave town all the time.. Just enjoy her check on your home , pick up all mail and newpapers, and you will ok near the insurance portion of this,, it has to do with the utilities.. and you could still hold coverage, even if they were off also.. I don`t know not the contents, but the house itself is covered.. Think about people near rental property.. sometimes its not rented for a longer time than you are going to be gone Source(s): Have my own home and rental property, It usually states 30 days, but my insurance agent says as long as the utilities are on, that is considered colonized, just like a time off home
you should be fine as long as someone is staying in the house for a sunshine or two. unoccupied means no one is staying contained by the home. vacant means not a soul stays in the house, utlities are off, and no furnishings are surrounded by the home. if for some reason you will be gone longer, advise your agent of this. Source(s): i am an agent

Related Questions:
If I grasp a fire insurance settlement after a house fire, do I hold to use the money to reform?   Which HAZARD INSURANCE policy should I purchase? TD1 or TD3 for a rental house surrounded by Houston.?   UK.  Do I necessitate to acquire insurance on a unsullied built house until that time it is finished or will the builder cover it?   On a expire loan. Do I hold to own my property taxes and house Insurance added within on my monthly expense?   Insurance for haunted houses..?